Question 1962 pa 32 260 tip tank leaks

More
31 Dec 2021 10:30 #3323 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic 1962 pa 32 260 tip tank leaks
Hi Robert;
From what I understand this is not an unusual problem with Piper tip style tanks.
You will be able to find a lot of advice on the internet on how to repair your tank. Methods include applying a negative pressure (suction) to the tank and putting liquid resin over the hole in hopes the resin plugs the hole.
There's also hints stating that all that's required it to sand off the gelcoat and apply a few layers of glass and resin over the existing hole.
However, my composite expert advises me that the only truly effective way to solve this problem is to go into the tank and repair the tank from the inside. Which is not quick, cheap or easy.
I have the name of a company in California that can do that, and there may be more competent shops that specialize in this type of tip tank repair, and I will continue to try to find others, but based on my guy's advice, a true fix (not a bandaid) will take some experience, is not quick or easy and will be a time and materials repair since there's no way of knowing what will be found when the tank is opened up.
If you want to try to repair it on the wing, please let me know what method you decide to use, and how it turned out.
Sorry I don't have a better answer.
Best,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Robert Longstreth
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
27 Dec 2021 08:49 #3315 by Robert Longstreth
1962 pa 32 260 tip tank leaks was created by Robert Longstreth
I have a 1962 pa 32 260 with fiberglass tip tanks that have pin hole leaks. The paint was bubbled up and when puncherd had fuel inside. What is the best way to repair?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds