Question Saratoga interior retrofit to Lance?

• Luke Tipple
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
15 Dec 2021 22:05 #3302 by Luke Tipple
Replied by Luke Tipple on topic Saratoga interior retrofit to Lance?
G’day Steve,

Thanks so much for this. Very comprehensive. My 78 actually has a 79 serial number. It has factory installed club seating and had the folding table, it’s just missing. I found a replacement at a wreckers and they want $1500 which is insanity. It’s what hit me thinking about installing one of the later model interiors with the table that folds into the side panel. I don’t mind spending money but why not spend it on a better system? I’m pretty sure I can have an A&P sign off on a minor modification, I mean it’s just side panels. I was more curious about whether that actual panels would fit or if later models (say 1986 Saratoga) had dramatic changes that would make it incompatible.

As a parallel I was able to fit a mirage interior into my Malibu. Couple of very slight tab changes but no big deal really. I figured the same could be accomplished with the pa32’s, it’s at least worth exploring.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2021 09:03 #3300 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Saratoga interior retrofit to Lance?
Luke,
I've been able to get more clarifying information on the installation of a folding table in your Lance.
This would depend on what options were installed in the aircrafts when they were manufactured. Two different installations will call for different brackets, supports and angles to be installed in the aircraft to support the different options being installed. Example (Club Seating) per the drawing the Folding Table options calls for two -7 angles to be installed to help support the weight of the table. If the aircraft has never had the folding table installation before there is a chance these two -7 angles are not installed in the aircraft. However I would say the two airframes are similar.
I have attached a drawing to illustrate where the -7 angles go.
Steve
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2021 12:52 #3299 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Luke;
It seems as though it's possible to install what's called the Folding Table parts if you're Lance has club seating.
But reference to the parts manual seems to indicate it's only possible if the serial number is listed in the following note:
"Used on PA-32RT-300 with serial numbers 32R-7985001 and up. PA-32RT-300T with serial numbers 32R-7987001 and up."
Based on what I know about the Piper serial number sequencing, it looks like it would not be approved for installation on your 1978 Lance.

The following is the parts needed:
-21 36800-02 F TABLE ASSEMBLY 1
-22 35669-104 F * PLACARD - Table stowage 1
-23 36801-02 F BRACKET ASSEMBLY - Table, mounting, forward 1
-24 36801-03 F BRACKET ASSEMBLY - Table, mounting, aft 1
-25 36803-02 F ESCUTCHEON - Table mount 2
-26 36802-02 F CLIP COVER - Table 2
-27 65440-10 F STRAP ASSEMBLY - Table

I don't know if it can't be installed on your 1978 model because of structural differences between 1978 and 1979, or for some other reason, but since the two brackets are included in the parts list, my guess is that the installation of the two brackets means that there is not special tabs or structure between that's in the Saratoga airframe but not in the Lance airframe.

However I can't prove it. I'll again reach out to my expert to see what he says.
I have attached the Club seating page from the parts book.

If you are able to obtain the table, brackets, etc. and install it all in your Lance, you will need some kind of approval. In my mind, it's a minor alteration since Piper parts are being used, and because nothing has been added during installation that has any effect on the airworthiness of the airplane and/or is listed in the major alteration listings in the regulations.
Steve
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2021 11:39 #3298 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Luke,
I am reaching out to some interior experts for your answer.
I'll post it here.
Best,
Steve

• Luke Tipple
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
12 Dec 2021 12:03 #3294 by Luke Tipple
Saratoga interior retrofit to Lance? was created by Luke Tipple
Hi everyone. I just sold my Malibu and have picked up a 1978 Turbo Lance II with club seating. The interior needs a refit and I’m wondering if anyone has tried, or knows, if a later model Saratoga interior could be installed in the lance? I know they share the same/similar airframe but I imagine the mounting tabs for things like the side panels may have changed over the years? It would be cool if later models could retrofit. My passengers really liked the fold out table.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds