Question Engine mounts

More
09 Oct 2022 09:13 #3661 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Engine mounts
Hi Pete;
I checked with the factory and posted that reply.
Yesterday I talked to some experienced Piper shops and they said it's normal for there to be a slight mis alignment between the spinner and cowling on the ground. In flight the engine will move slightly on the mounts and align better.
If you have discovered another answer, or have more information other pilots can use, please reply and post it.
Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2022 10:38 #3660 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Pete;
I asked Piper tech support about shimming an engine so the spinner/cowling junction is in alignment.
The following is the response: "No Piper does not have a shimming procedure for the aligning of the cowling. The alignment of the spinner to cowling is done when the cowling is being fitted to the aircraft."
I don't believe there is any cowling fitting adjustments on you PA 32, so this answer didn't do us much good.
What has your MX shop done to get an answer to this??
If I hear of any solution--I've got queries out and am awaiting return calls--I'll let you know.
Steve

More
05 Oct 2022 08:19 #3657 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Pete;
Why did your engine mount need repair?
I haven't shimmed Lord Mounts before but it may be an approved mod. I've for my feelers out right now for a clarifying answer.
Steve

• STEVEN STOCKMEIER
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
04 Oct 2022 06:25 #3655 by STEVEN STOCKMEIER
Replied by STEVEN STOCKMEIER on topic Engine mounts
I have a PA28-140/180 STC. My propeller spinner was rubbing on my front nose cowling. I figured it was sagging engine mounts. At my annual I went ahead and changed the mounts since it had been 20 years. The mounts were sagging, but not as much as I thought. After reinstalling the motor I had a little more clearance on my spinner, but not as much as I thought I would get. Also noticed the motor pointed to the right. I contacted customer service at Piper and they told me it’s designed to point 1 to 3 degrees right. After looking at several other Pipers I’ve noticed they’re the same.
I’ve never seen a reference to shimming the mounts to align the engine. I’m not sure that would be a wise idea without approval.
My advise is to email Tech support at Piper. If I can find my email I’ll post it. I determined my spinner rub is more of a bad installation when they installed the split nose cowl.

Steve

• Pete Norwood
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
03 Oct 2022 11:45 #3653 by Pete Norwood
Engine mounts was created by Pete Norwood
Hi, I recently had to have the engine mount on my 2000 PA-32R-301HP repaired by Aerospace Welding. They did a good job, but after reinstalling the engine with new rubber "Lord" mounts the engine is not in line with the cowling. The spinner is down and to the right as related to the cowl.
The only apparent fix seems to be the addition of washers at the rubber mounts to push the engine up and left.
The question is; is this a standard and acceptable way to make the engine line up correctly?
Thanks in advance for responding.
Pete Norwood

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds