26 Jun 2024 14:00 #4339 by Logan Lyon
Replied by Logan Lyon on topic Flying PA-28s with 2 Young Children
Thanks for your help, Steve! 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2024 13:48 #4338 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Flying PA-28s with 2 Young Children
Hi Logan,
The following is an answer I received when I asked about child seats on another site:
"I have had two different carseats in my Twinco (NOTE: Twin Comanche--still has a single door on the copilots side).  For my younger daughter I used a Cosco Scenera for some time.  The cosco seats are super light weight and easy to move around between cars and such, they're also pretty affordable.  .  The Scenera worked ok as there was a tunnel for the belt to run through and there was just enough space to grab the tail and keep the belt tight.  For my older daughter I used a Cosco Finale, it worked OK... it doesn't have a dedicated belt tunnel so there's a lump in the child's back where the flip buckle is..

Research indicates it's an FAA approved seat.

I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you found that worked.

Best,
Steve

More
24 Jun 2024 12:21 #4337 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Logan,
Yes, the single door and having to step down into Piper singles is not ideal for dealing with child seats. The dual doors and belt level seats in Cessnas are much more manageable. 

I started in Cessnas, and although I did fly a PA 28 in my flight school, I much prefer Cessnas. I owned a 1966 Cessna 182J for a few years. Very stable, good useful load, can be converted into a pretty capable STOL airplane without a lot of work, lots of experienced mechanics, lots of parts and a pretty strong engine. Many consider the 182 the best all around airplane ever made.

Having said that, my needs have changed and I have been the happy owner of a 1960 Piper Comanche for the last 18 years. It's my little two place airplane since it only has a 180 hp engine. It fits my mission perfectly.

The most important decision revolves around determining what is your most commonly flown mission. 

This magazine is paired with the Cessna Flyer magazine. It has also been published for quite a while and its webpage also have a forum that is also chocked full  of Cessna-centric information.

If you'd like a couple look see articles on the 172 and 182, I'll try to get them for you.

Steve

• Logan Lyon
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
24 Jun 2024 11:46 #4336 by Logan Lyon
Replied by Logan Lyon on topic Flying PA-28s with 2 Young Children
Thanks Steve,

I've considered jumping straight into a PA-32 which would solve just about all the space/convenience requirements, but would introduce other potential issues (such as higher initial & operating costs, takeoff & landing distances, etc). 

I'm also still pondering whether to reach for a long-term solution or to look for a simpler, more entry level option to get my feet wet and then after gaining more experience decide what specs & features I'd like to look for in a long-term ownership situation. In regards to small children, the smaller option stills remains plausible to me in a way that will diminish as they bet bigger. However, that hassle of wrangling them & out of a cramped back seat strikes me as a concern.

More
24 Jun 2024 09:20 - 24 Jun 2024 10:27 #4335 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Logan,

I am reaching out for feedback from flyers on this subject since my nieces and nephews are long out of child seats.
I'll relay what I learn.

I'd especially like for all Piper Flyer readers to weigh in here with their experiences with child seats in Piper singles.

You might want to consider buying more airplane that you presently need--those kids are gonna grow and the family may well turn out to enjoy flying vacations and trips.

Take a look at this article: piperflyer.com/articles/art-cats/60-maga...personal-travel.html.

It outlines the PA 28 line.

As a member, you can also go back into the archives. Click on the "magazine" tab to access Online archives of published magazines, article archives and Featured articles.

Best,
Steve 
Last edit: 24 Jun 2024 10:27 by STEVE ELLS.

• Logan Lyon
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
23 Jun 2024 12:44 #4334 by Logan Lyon
Flying PA-28s with 2 Young Children was created by Logan Lyon
Hello Piper Flyers (1st Post),

I'm getting back into flying after a long hiatus, this time with a wife and two young kids (2 and 0). I got my PPL in PA-28-161s long ago and participated in a Dakota partnership as well (which was great while it lasted), but now looking to acquire my own plane outright.

My primary mission will be 1+ hr hops to visit or ferry grandparents to and fro.

I'd like to know how much a of hassle is it to haul two baby/toddler sized kids (carseats/boosters,etc) around in a PA-28? I'm open to the idea a Cessna 172/182 for this purpose (easier access with two bigger doors), but my initial inclination to to stay with the airframe I've logged all my time on.

-Thanks

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds