Question Cork underlayment?

More
10 May 2024 10:38 #4296 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cork underlayment?
Hi James;
Howz it goin on that cork?
Did you find a method that worked best?
Please describe
Thanks
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• James Eary
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
04 May 2024 13:19 #4293 by James Eary
Replied by James Eary on topic Cork underlayment?
Thanks for the info Steve- might use my oscillating multi-tool for the initial part- this stuff is a good 3/4” thick.
Then scraping and soak w/acetone. Gonna be fun times

More
04 May 2024 11:34 #4292 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Cork underlayment?
Hi James,
I have serious doubts that cork was applied by Piper; It's heavy and to my knowledge rarely used to absorb sound. A previous owner must have installed it.
I suggest you head over to your local hardware store to get some acetone, a putty knife with a 3 inch wide blade, a fiber bladed scraper, some one edged razor blades and some nitrile gloves. I doubt that you'll be able to peel it up like the skin off an orange so I would scrape as much off as you can. Then take a rag and, covering the remainder wet it with the acetone.
Let it soak for 15 or 20 minutes, then see if you can scrape the glue off the floor surfaces. It's also OK to use a small wire brush but only if it has stainless steel hairs.
It'll probably be slow moving, make sure to not spend to much time breathing in the acetone fumes.
Let me know hot it comes out.

Steve

• James Eary
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
04 May 2024 08:16 #4291 by James Eary
Cork underlayment? was created by James Eary
Was pulling up carpet in my barn-find 1975 140, and found cork underneath- glued in place and hard as concrete. Was this SOP in these models?
Gonna be a bear to remove, as I want to use modern sound-deadening/insulating materials. 

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds