Question Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?

More
02 Feb 2024 07:22 #4197 by Robert Haight
Replied by Robert Haight on topic Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?
Just did a search on Amazon. There are angle attachments you can add to straight valve stems. May get them for my Cherokee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brendan O'Rourke
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
21 Jan 2024 08:20 #4183 by Brendan O'Rourke
Replied by Brendan O'Rourke on topic Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?
Steve,
Desser Aerospace responded with this description. "The Aero Classic GL-60877B (TR-87 70 DEG) and GL-60879B (TR-87 90 DEG) are both bent short (1.5") valve stems". The TR-87 90 DEG was out of stock but I did find a couple other folks stating the 70 DEG is a good solution so I ordered the TR-87 70 DEG tubes; see pre-installed images. The 70 DEG valve stem actually protrudes from the tube off center at an angle so the 'effective' angle is about 90 DEG or roughly parallel with the axle. The short valve stem should clear the nose fork and its bend angle will point it toward the fairing access door. If main gear hub caps are used without fairing (I use these when fairing are removed), I'm not certain the 70 DEG bent valve clear the hub cap; in this case the GL-6020B TR-20 straight stem tube may have to be used which works fine in this application.

More
10 Jan 2024 08:02 #4175 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?
Hi Brendan,

Please post here what you learn.
I'd like to get the results of your research to share with other PF readers.

Best,
Steve

• Brendan O'Rourke
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
08 Jan 2024 16:27 #4170 by Brendan O'Rourke
Replied by Brendan O'Rourke on topic Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?
Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the GL-60877B TR87 after I posted my question...but I also found the GL-60879B TR87 'short stem' tube. I have a message into Desser to see what the difference is if any and get some dimensions of the stem length. Want to have some confidence it will clear the nose wheel fork before spending $$.

More
08 Jan 2024 13:24 #4169 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles?
Hi Brendan,

As you said, the PA 28-181 parts manual only reveals that a tube in needed, not that a tube with an unusual stem is needed.

Now that modern tubes have what some manufacturers call a "leakstop" coating, the pressure bleed downs that were normal in years past, are rare now. This greatly lessens the number of "pressure checks" we need to do.

I did find an Aero Classic 6.00 x 6 tube with a 70 degree angle stem on the Desser Tire website under part number GL-60877B. When you type that number into the search window on the Desser site a picture will show the stem. This tire is also for sale from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty under part number is 06-03303. Cost is $95.

The sales guy at Desser told me that the tube can be returned, but I'm not sure that option is available if it's been installed and inflated.

Check it out, and please let me know is that works.

Best,
Steve

• Brendan O'Rourke
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
07 Jan 2024 14:43 #4167 by Brendan O'Rourke
Inner Tube Valve Stem Angles? was created by Brendan O'Rourke
My Archer nose wheel has a straight valve stem, probably a TR20 or TR25, inner tube brand unknown. The straight valve stem points directly at the axle which is supported by the fork making is impossible to check the tire pressure without bending the valve stem hard to the side. This is a similar issue on the main landing gear when the fairings are installed because of the mount protruding from the axle to support the fairing. Seems like the valve stems should be a 90 degree type but I'm not finding any answers in the Aircraft manuals or from tire manufactures information. Tubes are too expensive to make a guess; looking for the definitive answer to the valve stem type/angle for PA-28-181 6.00x6 tire inner tubes?

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds