• Larry Hart
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
04 Apr 2022 02:09 #3451 by Larry Hart
Replied by Larry Hart on topic Comanche steering
Steve,
thank you for the great reply. Now I have a better understanding of the Comanche steering, and the braking.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2022 10:52 #3448 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Comanche steering
Hi Larry,
I too own a 1960 Comanche and can testify that all Comanches have nose wheel steering. Press on the rudder pedal, that transmits motion to what's called a steering sector. The nose steering is limited to 30 degrees left of 30 deg right and it may be a bit sloppy if the aluminum sector is worn (a common problem) but there is nose wheel steering.
What there is not is toe brakes. The rudder pedals on my 1960 Comanche are nothing more than welded steel tubes. There is no "top half" of the rudder pedal because there's no left and right wheel brake cylinders.
When the hand brake lever is pulled it applies break pressure to both main wheel brakes.
You can retro fit toe brakes to your airplane but it will be an expensive and will take some time to assemble all the parts and get approval to make the modification.
Piper began installing toe brakes on the 1961 Comanches starting with serial number 2175.
I happen to prefer the handbrake system. I've never locked up a tire with the system so have never "flat spotted" a tire. I have had to buy new tires in the past when flying airplanes with toe brakes because I would press too hard during braking.

• Larry Hart
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
01 Apr 2022 17:12 #3445 by Larry Hart
Replied by Larry Hart on topic Comanche steering
I stand corrected. I spoke to a mechanic in Watsonville, CA. He is fluent in Comanche. He told me that all Comanches have nose wheel steering.
Like you, i would like to know when the Comanche hand brake evolved into the toe brake. Anyone care to enlighten me?

More
01 Apr 2022 17:04 #3444 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Comanche steering
I haven't flown the Comanche but I always thought they ALL had nosewheel steering through the rudder pedals. The early Comanches had brakes through a single hand lever that also served as the parking brake. Later Comanches got toe brakes but I don't know when that happened. Maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Actually I hoped a resident "Comanche Expert" would chime in here as I'm kinda curious myself when the hand brake finally went away and toe brakes became standard on the Comanche.

BTW, the Cherokee went through the same iteration and during my college years I got to fly my father's old Cherokee 180 that had nosewheel steering through the rudder pedals but just the single lever hand brake. Also, I flew the Grumman Cheetah that had a free swiveling nose gear and you had to only steer with differential braking, a complete opposite of the old Cherokee.

• Larry Hart
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
28 Mar 2022 14:58 #3440 by Larry Hart
Comanche steering was created by Larry Hart
Could someone please explain the evolution of the steering mechanism in the Comanche? What Comanche model year has nose wheel steering using the rudder pedals?
I am relatively certain that the 1960 model year does not have nose wheel steering, The pilot steers using air pressure on the rudder. To my knowledge the rudder pedals are not connected to the nose wheel.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds