Question Does the Comanche have enough headroom for a tall pilot?

More
16 Mar 2022 10:56 #3433 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Larry;
First off, according to my parts book, vertically adjustable seats were never an option in the Comanche singles.
But you can install vertically adjustable seats from other Piper singles in a Comanche.
Turns out that Piper used the same seat rail width in most of its singles. So you can install vertically adjustable seats obtained from an airplane salvage yard or other source in a Comanche to get additional headroom.
There is also a good likelihood that you will be able to get a good upholstery shop to revamp the seat suspension and cushion system to lower the seat height.
I know that when I installed a pre made seat cushion on my Comanche, the space between my head and the ceiling was lessened. Since I'm 5' 8" it hasn't created a problem, but the depth of seat cushioning does make a difference.
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Larry Hart
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 Mar 2022 05:50 #3432 by Larry Hart
I am 6' 4" inches tall. To fit comfortably, I need about 39 inches from the pilot seat cushion to the ceiling. I have never flown in a Comanche. Do any Comanches have a pilot seat with vertical adjustment?

I am currently shopping for a plane. I know that I can fit in a 1978 Piper Arrow that has a pilot seat with vertical adjustment. I can fit in a 1984 Mooney model J that has a pilot seat with vertical adjustment. I tried to fit in a Mooney Model C, but that did not go well.

I have owned a 1975 Piper Warrior that had a pilot seat with vertical adjustment. It was a close fit, but it worked. I have owned two Skyhawks, and I can easily fit in a Skyhawk. I would like to go 130 knots or faster, so I am focusing on an Arrow, Mooney, or Comanche.

I am located in Meadville, PA.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds