Question engine dies after starting.

• Doug Linville
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 May 2024 11:01 #4303 by Doug Linville
Replied by Doug Linville on topic engine dies after starting.
Steve,
I flew the airplane a couple weeks ago with no issue. Also, flew three legs yesterday with probably two and a half hours flight time, no problem. Maybe caused by inactivity. Going to write it off for now.
Thanks,
Doug be

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2024 10:04 #4285 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic engine dies after starting.
Thanks Doug,
Steve

• Doug Linville
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
26 Apr 2024 14:22 #4282 by Doug Linville
Replied by Doug Linville on topic engine dies after starting.
Steve, thanks for your reply.  There are no mechanics or FBO at K19, so, troubleshooting is very slow.  Will keep you updated.
doug

More
23 Apr 2024 11:41 #4279 by STEVE ELLS
Doug, 
There's another thing that can cause an inability to idle normally; that's an induction leak. Check to see if any of the primer tubes have broken, or been abraded through, and that all the hoses and clamps on the individual intake tubes are intact.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug Linville

More
22 Apr 2024 10:34 #4276 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Doug;

It sounds like there's a problem with the idle circuit in your carburetor, but before we start pulling parts I want you to look closely at the carburetor air box. Is it free of all obstructions (bird nests, etc.) because when an airplane sits, even if its in a hangar birds and other creatures (mice) can move in and build a home.

If that's all clear then I want you or your mechanic to gently turn the carburetor idle mixture screw in (clockwise when viewed from the knob end) until it bottoms. Gently, don't force it. Once it bottoms then back it out 2 1/.2 turns.
Then try starting the engine. If the carburetor is working as it should the engine should idle down to the previous 700-800 range. When the idle mixture and idle speed adjustments are correct  , you may be able to slow it down to a 600 rpm idle.

If those actions don't make a difference, I recommend pulling the carburetor finger screen. It's accessed by either disconnecting the fuel in line at the carburetor, then unbending the copper washer locking tabs holding the large head of the screen prior to backing it out. 
The finger strainer should be clean as a whistle. If not, clean it prior to re installing it with a new locking washer.(MC16-A48 fuel inlet gasket available from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty (www.aircraftspruce.com) and other aero parts houses.

Finally, it's a good idea to drain the fuel bowl on the carburetor every annual. It's simple. Turn off the fuel valve, get your fire bottle handy, then removed the internal wrenching plug at the bottom of the carburetor fuel bowl. The fuel that runs out should be clean. Replace the plug, turn the fuel back on and check for leaks at the plug. 

These actions comprise the steps that should be taken at every annual inspection. If the problem persists, I recommend sending the carburetor to the folks at Marvel Schebler Carburetors. They will test it for free. Contact them at www.msacarbs.com

Please let me know what you find. 

Steve

Attachments:

• Doug Linville
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
21 Apr 2024 11:10 #4275 by Doug Linville
engine dies after starting. was created by Doug Linville
I own a 1961 PA-24 250.  I have owned this airplane since 2002.  The airplane has sit in the hanger a lot this winter.  When i started the plane a couple weeks ago, it idled rough and then died.  I was able to restart the engine but decided to put it back in the hangar, open the cowel and look for anything unusual.  Didn't find anything.

Returned to the hangar a week or so later, started engine without problem, idled smoother but within about 15 seconds it died, fuel pressure was good.  When the engine starts to die, haven't been able to stop it from dieing.  Taxied to runway, completed a run up with all being good, so went flying without incident.

The airplane hasn't done this previously.  Any ideas what could cause this.  The engine is a Lycoming O 540.  Normally idles in the 700-800 RPM range.  I ran it about 1000 RPMs trying to keep it from dieing.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds