Question Comanche Exhaust

More
06 Mar 2024 11:02 #4226 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Comanche Exhaust
Hi Joel,
I'll reach out to Paul with that information.

Best,
S

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joel Whitaker
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
05 Mar 2024 15:40 #4225 by Joel Whitaker
Replied by Joel Whitaker on topic Comanche Exhaust
I just got off the phone with Paul Groyko and what a fantastic referral that was, thank you Steve!

To your point, he does not know of anyone that has done a C182 dual exhaust conversion.  However, he was highly encouraging to contact the local FSDO and start the process (when I'm ready) to get a field approval for it.  He was confident that the paperwork and inspection would be time consuming but most likely successful showing that the dual-exhaust would be a net positive for the older single-exhaust Comanches.

He also asked that if I had any information regarding what happened to Aviation Performance Products or their tooling/STCs they would be very interested to connect with someone about it.

Thank you again for all of the help!

By the way William, mine's 24-3200.  They were probably rolling off the factory line together :)

• Joel Whitaker
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
20 Feb 2024 12:12 - 20 Feb 2024 12:14 #4222 by Joel Whitaker
Here's a photo looking through the muffler to the opposite end; you can see the cracking and missing pieces.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 12:14 by Joel Whitaker. Reason: Incorrect text.

• Joel Whitaker
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
20 Feb 2024 12:10 - 20 Feb 2024 12:13 #4221 by Joel Whitaker
Thank you both very much for the prompt replies!  After speaking with my A&P I took the muffler off over the weekend and shipped it out to Aerospace Welding Inc. in Minnesota (they responded the quickest with an estimate and instructions).  I tried to post a photo of the muffler in this reply, the entire end had blown out on the side that feeds the carb heat shroud.  This could have gone from a nuisance (CO warning in my ear) to extremely bad very quickly.  Lesson of the day is... pay attention to warning signs!

Once I get my plane back in one piece, I'm going to hunt down Paul Groyko and see what ideas he might have for the future (I know the single exhaust tends to be a weak point).

Thank you again!  I'm glad to be a part of this group, it's been very helpful on several occasions now.

Joel
Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 12:13 by Joel Whitaker. Reason: Photo came out as code.

More
20 Feb 2024 09:20 #4220 by William Lucius
Replied by William Lucius on topic Comanche Exhaust
Hello Joel I have a 62 250, I removed an operable stock exhaust with no known leaks. SN 24-3202, if you are interested in buying this one to use until you find a 260 style system let me know. I am in the Las Vegas NV area.

William Lucius
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joel Whitaker

More
20 Feb 2024 08:55 #4218 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Comanche Exhaust
Hi Joel;
I do not know of another supplier of an APP type exhaust system. I read your post last night and noticed that there are other Lycoming 6 cylinder engines that have "drop down" type exhaust systems. One is the 1996 and newer Cessna 182. 

Of course, getting approval to install that system on your Comanche would take some time and most likely become a very frustrating experience.

The best thing is to take your entire exhaust system and send it to a reputable exhaust repair facility for an overhaul. 
One company with a very good reputation (and a Piper Flyer advertiser) is Acorn Welding. You can reach out to it at www.acornwelding.com or by calling 888-388-8803. 

When you get Acorn on the phone, ask Paul Groyko, the answer man there is he has ever heard of putting an exhaust system from a Lycoming powered C-182 on a Comanche. If I had that question, Paul's the guy I would ask.

As you must know, a leaky exhaust system is a ticking time bomb. The human body has no defense against carbon monoxide poisoning. Can't smell it, can't see it. 

Let me know what you decide.

S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joel Whitaker

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds