Question Flying an Apache

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
30 Apr 2024 21:35 #4290 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Flying an Apache
Jen and I flew with Thierry to the Bahamas years back in a Barron. A beautiful plane.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Eric Parks
  • Eric Parks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
30 Apr 2024 18:09 - 30 Apr 2024 18:55 #4289 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Flying an Apache
Not that is has anything to do with Apaches but I got to ride in a Baron today. It's been almost 40 years since I got to fly in a Baron so it was a great "blast from the past" to ride in one today. Most of my time in Barons was in the A-55 (short body, 260 hp) or the B-58 (long body, 285 hp). I flew other models and the one we were in today was a D-55 which is the short body with a long nose and 285 hp engines. So a bit of a "hot rod" even for a Baron. Not a long flight but just around Charlotte. My buddies airplane was supposed to come out of maintenance and we were going to fly his plane to his home airport where his wife would pick us up. Unfortunately there were a couple unresolved issues once we got there and it was decided to keep his plane there in maintenance and he actually added a couple extra items to accomplish. Once his plane is out of maintenance it will go to the paint shop so it's getting lots of fixing up!

Our ride home for the day. This is NOT an Apache!

My buddy let me ride up front since he knew I was drooling all over the "hot rod" Baron.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Apr 2024 18:55 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
29 Apr 2024 20:33 - 05 May 2024 18:37 #4288 by Eric Parks
Kent,

Assuming I got a few mph increase I think most of it came from the fact that the outside of the nacelle didn't have any fairing at all and some of my old fairings were getting bent up and the rubber "bumper strips" were loose and adding drag too. So I will have to see how the numbers look over time but for now I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing. 
Last edit: 05 May 2024 18:37 by Eric Parks.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
29 Apr 2024 15:45 #4287 by Kent Dellenbusch
I bet you did have a few additional knots. I was talking to Annie from Micro Vortex about speed mods (she was a test pilot) and they all add up. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do understand the basic principles of airfoil (eaglepubs.erau.edu/introductiontoaerospa.../airfoil-geometries/) and I believe you will have less drag with those fairings installed.
Very exciting!
K

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
29 Apr 2024 15:08 - 29 Apr 2024 20:28 #4286 by Eric Parks
The day I've been looking forward to! I got to fly Annie with the new fairings...And I think she's faster 
Seriously! I did a few speed runs where I fly headings of 090, 180, 270 and 360 and average the ground speeds. I was at 8,500' and got speeds from 165 to 161 mph with full throttle and 2500 down to 2200 rpm. I'm good with that! I was by myself and had a decent fuel load but was probably about 500 lbs under gross so that might account for a couple mph but still that seems a couple mph faster than I was getting prior. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So the good news is the fairings look great even just in primer before being painted. We plan on getting that done soon, hopefully before Oshkosh!

I did a clean stall followed by a dirty stall. The clean stall got down to the bottom of the white arc on the airspeed indicator and then had a nice break straight ahead. I recovered and set up a dirty stall (flaps and gear down). I got down to 50 mph indicated and gave up on holding the nose up! At any rate I'm satisfied the new fairings haven't hurt the handling or stall speeds.

I also had some circuit breakers moved and put in a more logical (to me!) position so they would be easy to access and remember. The engine gauge circuit breakers are  now in the same pattern as the actual gauges.

Also the flap gauge has been repaired and installed. It is an older beat up one so if possible I will have my newer, nicer looking original guage fixed as well and replace this one but for now I have an operational flap gauge.

The final improvement for the day was putting some stickers on the GPU plug area to make sure it was obvious which way the positive and negative should be oriented.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2024 20:28 by Eric Parks.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
28 Apr 2024 10:10 #4284 by Kent Dellenbusch
Heck, if you do not get any more speed, they look sexy.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds