Question Flying an Apache

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 Mar 2024 08:30 #4230 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Flying an Apache
I can't wait to see her this year at the gathering. 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Eric Parks
  • Eric Parks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
09 Mar 2024 13:19 - 12 Mar 2024 14:42 #4229 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Flying an Apache
Steve,

The panel upgrade has been the hardest and most rewarding part of Annie's upgrades. Part of the reason I have enjoyed it so much is that I have been able to choose what I want in the panel and I'm finding I like SOME of new tech but I'm not that entranced by all of it. For example, my Apache came with the Garmin G5s installed and they are exactly what I would have put in myself. The offer me some very nice improvements (AHARS vs. gyros, flat screen vs. mechanical, redundancy) but are not the total immersion into new tech like some of the newer displays (Garmin G1000). So I find I'm very comfortable with the "tech" I have because I have chosen it and I understand why I have it in the panel. 

Besides all of that the panel in the Apache really needed some "Spruceing up" (as in Aircraft Spruce!) and it just looks much newer and nicer to me now. Every time I fly I get to see and use my upgrades so I get a lot of satisfaction from that too. So what had been a "low point" of the plane now is probably one of it's high points. So that's all fun too. I hope you enjoy your planes upgrade too. Is this on the Comanche?

Eric
Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 14:42 by Eric Parks.

More
09 Mar 2024 10:42 #4228 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Flying an Apache
Hi Eric,

What a treat! The long awaited return to the left seat in your Apache!

I'm in the middle of a panel upgrade, and am looking forward to when I can get back in the air!

Steve

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
07 Mar 2024 18:14 - 07 Mar 2024 18:15 #4227 by Eric Parks
My shoulder continues to heal and improve. So today I went out with not only my CFI buddy but I took my daughter's boyfriend along as he is about to start pilot training himself. So for the first time I rode IN BACK. Actually liked it too! But let's face it, I still like being up front. However, I tried very hard to be a good passenger while my CFI buddy flew and gave a few pointers to the BF. I also got my three "bounces" in as well to keep me current. Still waiting on clearance to fly the big planes (maybe April) but for now I'm good to go on the Apache.

Me in the back seat. Obviously enjoying myself. Notice the HUGE rear windows.

This was not official instruction but the boyfriend did get a chance to work the controls. He loved it.

While the boyfriend was very happy to get a ride the daughter was happy to take pictures from the ground (and pose for few too!).

I'm willing to pose too!
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Mar 2024 18:15 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
15 Feb 2024 19:51 - 15 Feb 2024 19:52 #4208 by Eric Parks
Latest "toy" is a RoboTow for the Apache. This allows me to get the plane in and out of the hangar without needing the tug. 

The RoboTow is not quite powerful enough to get the Apache in the hangar without a little wooden ramp to help get the tires over the lip of the door. A little "body english" helps too!

I got to fly the "left seat" of the Apache for the first time today since late October! My instructor buddy was flying as PIC and giving me "dual". But that allowed me to get current in the Apache again while having someone watch me and keep me out of trouble! We had a bumpy day down low so the 3 patterns were a little more interesting than usual plus we had a little traffic (which is a little unusual at our quiet airport). After the patterns we went to 6,500' where it was smooth and did another simulated engine out but with me in the left seat and Gerry running the drill. At 6,500' we just maintained altitude on one engine simulated out but I think that's about as good as we could expect. Anyway, a fun day to finally get back flying in Annie.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2024 19:52 by Eric Parks.

More
01 Feb 2024 17:16 #4195 by Scott Kinney
Replied by Scott Kinney on topic Flying an Apache
Eric, can you send me a note at scott [AT] aviationgroupltd [DOT] com? We can follow up by email as to not further clutter your thread.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds