• Eric Parks
  • Eric Parks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 Apr 2024 06:56 - 16 Apr 2024 06:59 #4265 by Eric Parks
Replied by Eric Parks on topic Flying an Apache
Kent,

Yes, the new fairings have to be cut down and hand fit and then new attachments. I think he is using rivnuts. So far he has just gotten to the cleco stage. They are bigger than the original fairings so it does require drilling new holes.

I think they look great but my take is there is more "art" than "science" with a lot of speed mods. I feel pretty certain these fairings are more efficient but I doubt it makes much difference in the real world. My old fairings are getting pretty "beat up" and instead of trying to rehab them I just went with new ones.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2024 06:59 by Eric Parks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Apr 2024 04:48 #4264 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Flying an Apache
They look great so far.  Ironically Jen and were talking about speed mods last night. I wonder how they quantify a couple of knots of fairings, gap seals, etc. Wind tunnel testing, 100% exact settings in flight with and without (assuming fuel, persons in the plane have the exact same weight) mods.  Are any aeronautical engineers here to tell me?  
Eric, did you have to do any new drilling or was it a direct replacement? 

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
15 Apr 2024 20:12 - 15 Apr 2024 20:21 #4263 by Eric Parks
These are the first two of six new fairings getting "fitted" on Annie. The original fairings were pretty tired and beat up so I got some new fairings from Diamond Aire and we are finally getting time to put them on. We will be replacing the original fairings on the inside of the engine nacelle and against the fuselage (as pictured) as well as new fairing on the outside of the nacelle that the  original Apache did not have. As much as I WISH they would make the plane faster I doubt I will even get a knot of speed added. However, the old fairings were literally fallling apart so we had to do something. So MAYBE they will be a little faster but I think they will definitely LOOK better! 

Notice the clecos holding them on for now. We will fit all six and then attach them. For now the old fairings are back on until we can finish fitting all of them.

It takes a while to trim them to size as the kit is the same for the Aztec and the Apache. So ours have to be cut down to fit in some areas. We plan on painting all the fairings the blue trim color.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2024 20:21 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
29 Mar 2024 19:16 - 29 Mar 2024 19:31 #4247 by Eric Parks
I finally got to do a "big" family trip I have wanted to do (again) for a while and flew up to Louisville, KY. I use KLOU (Bowman Field) which is more convenient and has been wonderful. Executive Aviation has been a great experience for me when going into LOU and it was again this trip. I had great weather except for two things, a bumpy ride down low and strong headwinds up high going to LOU. After experiencing how bumpy the rides were down low after getting over the mountains I went back up to 8,500' and stayed there. It was worth it as it was butter smooth at altitude the rest of the way... BUT SLOW. I'm not going to show the picture but I was in the 120 mph range which made my flight time about 2:32 going up. It was also COLD (27 F) as I don't have a heater in the Apache right now. It was so nice to thaw out after landing!

After a great visit with family I left the next day to fly home. It was the same situation except now I had the tailwinds! WooHoo! Again it was bumpy down low and I kept going up until smooth (and cold!) air at 9,500'. I was getting about a 30 mph push but it started getting bumpy again. I was using VFR flight following and a Mooney checked onto the Center freq at 11,500'. I asked Center to check with the Mooney on the ride and he said it was smooth. So up we went again, this time to 11,500' and we got yet another boost in speed while getting a smooth ride. I got smarter and had a blanket to help me stay warm at altitude this time though! The highest ground speed I saw was 210 mph on descent so you know I liked that. Flight time on the return flight was 1:54 so much faster than going up!

I'm only going to show you the fast leg! 188 mph ground speed at 11,500 ft. My actual True Airspeed was about 155 mph here (135 kts), a very typical speed for the Apache.

Sunset at KLOU

LOU has one of the few remaining wind tetrahedrons 
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2024 19:31 by Eric Parks.

• Eric Parks
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
25 Mar 2024 17:43 - 25 Mar 2024 17:48 #4243 by Eric Parks
After a LOT of work and effort we are starting to get to fly more. My shoulder continues to heal and I can do a little flying in the Apache. Today I took a buddy over the Smoky Mountains in NC and TN to Sevierville, TN. You might not recognize the name Sevierville but if I say Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg you might pick up on those. In fact Sevierville is the town the airport for Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is located. But for some reason the "Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg Airport" is in Sevierville. I am hoping to take some friends to some of the shows in Pigeon Forge in the near future so I planned this trip as a "scouting mission" as well as a shake down flight for Annie and just a fun day.

When we parked I noticed another Apache parked one over from us. A very nice Apache with the Geronimo conversion. As the ramp worker got ready to drive us over in the golf cart to the FBO building I told him that was another Apache and it looked very nice. He replied that he liked our Apache better with it's older style. I wasn't going to disagree!

My buddy took this pic as we flew over the Smoky Mountains into Tennessee.

Annie still looks good on the ramp

There are great views everywhere, even on the ramp.

The best part is just having a good day with a friend.

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 17:48 by Eric Parks.

• Kent Dellenbusch
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
24 Mar 2024 13:18 #4242 by Kent Dellenbusch
Replied by Kent Dellenbusch on topic Flying an Apache
Hey Eric and Steve.
If you guys are getting complete panel overlays, I'd love to see the before and after photos. And, who did it.  We get questions every once in a while about who does this. AirCaptiol Dial is very well known.  I'd like to know of others.  To have on hand in the event AairCapitol Dial is far out on order times.  

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds