Question PA-12 Extended Baggage STC?

More
22 Apr 2024 10:39 #4277 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic PA-12 Extended Baggage STC?
Hi Erik;
Great!. You're going to end up with a fantastic Bush Style airplane. It's wonderful that your blessings will permit you to go through this -12. After all, even though someone has already done some work on it--as evidenced by the yellow colored tube airframe the fact remains--it's a 76 year old airframe.
Let me know what I (we) can do for you from our end as you move forward.

Best,
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Erik Rhode
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
21 Apr 2024 05:36 #4274 by Erik Rhode
Replied by Erik Rhode on topic PA-12 Extended Baggage STC?
Hi Steve!
Thanks again for jumping in with info. I’m not sure what’s happening with my replies, but the first attempt seems to disappear, so I apologize for leaving you hanging. I did speak with Mr. Sullivan and wow, what a wealth of knowledge! After talking it over with the shop that’ll be doing the majority of the work on my plane, I went ahead and bought the 2 STC’s from Ron. Since the last post, I’ve decided to add flaps on this project as well. I was originally thinking that this was just going to be a quick re-cover and paint job, but we have quickly gotten into deep water on it.

I’ve lied awake many nights contemplating how far to go with this, and I keep arriving at the same conclusion. I’ll be 50 years old this year, and while I am in good health, I have no idea how long that will last. I could put the project off with plans to tackle it in 5-10 years, then end up dying, or developing something that would prevent me from keeping a medical. Also, I’m lucky to still have my father (who got me interested in anviation) around and still flying airplanes at nearly 80, and that can’t last forever. I’d love for him to see this get finished and be able to fly in it with me. My intention is for this to be my “forever” airplane to pass down to kids or grandkids when I can’t fly it anymore. The Good Lord has blessed me greatly, and I’m thankful to be able to do this.

Thanks again for the info, it was a tremendous help.

Erik

More
17 Apr 2024 15:11 #4268 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic PA-12 Extended Baggage STC?
Hi Erik;
My initial research shows that an extended baggage STC for your PA -12 is owned by Ron Sullivan in Alaska. His ph no is 907 262-4630.

He has 2 stcs- one for the extended baggage and one to revamp the elevator bellcrank system. 
He recommends that both be done.
The cost is small; $375 each but Ron said he would make you a deal if you wanted both.

A lot of Alaska pilots are now going to the smaller batteries and moving them--to firewall, or below the seat.

You would be buying the STC approval and a set of drawings showing how to do the STCs, no parts are included.

I guess you'll have to talk to Mr. Sullivan about the upper/lower question--it didn't sound to me as though there was an upper/lower option.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best,
Steve
Steve

• Erik Rhode
  • Topic Author
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
More
15 Apr 2024 09:05 #4262 by Erik Rhode
PA-12 Extended Baggage STC? was created by Erik Rhode
Hi all,
I have a PA-12 project in the works, as mentioned in my previous post.  I'd love to add extended baggage, but am having a hard time finding details.  It looks like there are at least two STC's out there, SA149AL and SA565AL.  Does anyone have any drawings or photos of either of these STC's in use?  I'd love to see how they work in real life.  From looking at my airplane and thinking about this, the questions that come to mind are;

1. Where does the battery go?  It's currently mounted right behind the rear seat, so it would seem to prevent the sort of ext compartment that I've seen before.  

2. Does the bell crank get in the way?  I had someone tell me that it would require removing it and re-cabling it like a PA-18, which sounds expensive, and I have not found a STC for that.

3.  Is it possible to install just the upper compartment of an upper/lower extended baggage modification, and skip the lower to avoid the potential battery and bell crank (and any others I haven't thought of...) issues?  

Thanks for any help.  This is my first airplane, and my first airplane project.  It's been quite an eye-opening experience, in both good ways and bad.  

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds