Question Avgas leak on tire

More
04 Apr 2024 09:47 #4253 by Mark Walter
Replied by Mark Walter on topic Avgas leak on tire
Steve,
I used a small hair dryer that didn’t produce a lot of heat. I initially dried it for about a day and then swelling was quite reduced. During a test flight there was a rhythmic thumping from remaining swelling. I used the hair dryer for a couple more days the tire was back to normal.
Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2024 09:05 #4203 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Avgas leak on tire
Hi Andrew and others on this thread;

I asked about using a hair dryer to dry out the avgas because avgas vapors are very easy to ignite. I am not sold on that solution although it sounded like it worked.

I believe if there's any doubt in the condition of a tire, it's wise from both an emotional standpoint (no worries) and a financial standpoint (blown tire on landing is no joke--could result in airframe damage) 

I changed a tire once because the strut seal blew out and the tire sat in a puddle of hydraulic fluid for a couple of days. Cheap insurance, cheaper for me than for most because I am an A & P. However, changing a tire in on the list of preventive maintenance tasks a pilot can undertake. But before trying to do it yourself, ask your mechanic to show you how to do it--there are items like torque values and balance spots that must be adhered to.

S

• Andrew Campbell
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
03 Feb 2024 09:49 #4200 by Andrew Campbell
Replied by Andrew Campbell on topic Avgas leak on tire
I had this several years ago. A leak from the drain dumped a gallon or 2 onto the tyre and the blister was quite large. I exercised the drain and managed to stop the leak but I’d lost confidence in the tyre. A few days later I flew the aircraft to my engineers and they replaced the tyre. I still thing it was the right decision given the amount of fuel involved.

More
27 Dec 2023 08:47 #4163 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Avgas leak on tire
Hi Mark,
Thanks for posting your experience with avgas on your airplane tires.

Question, when you say you arranged a hair dryer as a heat source--how long did you heat the tire?

Thanks,
Steve

More
26 Dec 2023 14:38 #4161 by Mark Walter
Replied by Mark Walter on topic Avgas leak on tire
I had this problem a couple years ago. I detected the leak quickly and changed the valve. The tire was slightly swollen and caused a bump when taxiing. I arranged a hair dryer as a heat source on th affected area. There was a quick decease in the swelling but it ultimately required a few days for complete resolution.

• Joshua Morowitz
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 Apr 2020 08:49 #2335 by Joshua Morowitz
Replied by Joshua Morowitz on topic Avgas leak on tire
I went back two days later to take a photo, but happily there is nothing abnormal visible any longer. I can no longer see anything in the area where the tread looked a little swollen. I plan to keep a close eye on it but will start using it. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STEVE ELLS

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds