Question Borescope Photos

More
16 Feb 2024 10:06 #4213 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Borescope Photos
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
I suggest you speak with the engine shop about what you found during the borescope inspection.

Offer to send them copies of the photos if they are not local to you.

If you can fly over, take the airplane to them so they can do an inspection.

if you'd rather have someone else work with the shop, Savvy Aviation is very good at working with owners and shops.

Let me know what happens,

Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• CHARLIE MUELLER
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 Feb 2024 09:03 #4211 by CHARLIE MUELLER
Replied by CHARLIE MUELLER on topic Borescope Photos
Steve-this is Piper Dakota-with an O540-J4A5D engine. I am on Naples Florida and I absolutely followed the break in procedure keeping power up during the first 10-15 hours of flight.
JB Engine Service, Sebring Fla did the overhaul

More
16 Feb 2024 08:39 #4210 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Charlie,
Now that I look at the photos again, I'm very surprised at the amount of build up shown on the valve.

Your engine is very "wet" 

That's not good, esp at 40 hours since overhaul.

If the streaks are indeed scratches in the cylinder walls, it's a problem. For right now let's assume that the oil control rings are faulty and that's the reason there's so much oil in the cylinders.
If the oil control rights were not installed correctly, or the gap in the rings is incorrect; that could be the source of all the oil in the cylinders. 

Oil can bet into the combustion chambers and cylinders through loose valve guides, or lack of oil drainage from the rocker box covers, or improper rings (not too likely) or ring gaps.

Please take a couple of borescope pictures with the piston all the way back to the bottom of the stroke, while angling the camera/light back up toward the valves. I'd like to see both valves or as much as you can get of both valves as is possible. You may not be able to get a shot showing all of both the exhaust and intake valves, so please show all of the exhaust valve (the smaller valve) and as much of the intake valve as you're able to  fit into the frame.

Thanks,
Steve

More
16 Feb 2024 08:21 #4209 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Charlie;
Please tell me what engine this is.

The streaking. I can't tell if you're showing me photos of the cylinder walls that are at the lowest (closest to the ground) location. So can't really pass on a opinion on the streaks.
One photo show quite a bit of oil in the cylinder; another seems to show a lot of oil in the cylinder; another seems to show a lot of carbon/oil accumulation on what looks like the valve guide.

An engine that was broken in correctly should not have this much oil in the cylinders. Did you keep the power up (65-75%) during the first 5 to 10 hours?
What oil did you use during the first 5 to 10 hours?

What company did the overhaul?

Were new cylinders installed at the overhaul?

What's the altitude of your home airport? I ask because if your home airport is located at 5000 feet or above maintaining 65 - 75 % power during the initial flights can be a real challenge. 

Please get back to me with answers to my questions.

Thanks,
Steve

• CHARLIE MUELLER
  • Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
15 Feb 2024 10:33 #4206 by CHARLIE MUELLER
Borescope Photos was created by CHARLIE MUELLER
Steve-

I have attached a few photos from borescoping my cylinders.  This is about 40 hours SMOH.  I would appreciate your comments I a new at the borescoping and so the quality of my work needs much to be desired. I will get better each time I do this. I am especially interested in the vertical streaking on the cylinder walls and valve that appears to be quite dirty for such low time on it.  The A&P who helped me with the oil change and cleaning the plugs said this was normal wear given the rings are still seating.

Charlie

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds