Question Greenville, SC Downtown (KGMU)

• Eric Parks
  • Eric Parks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 Mar 2024 17:59 - 13 Mar 2024 18:09 #4231 by Eric Parks
Greenville, SC Downtown (KGMU) was created by Eric Parks
Greenville Downtown is a medium sized airport close to downtown Greenville (duh). It is a tower controlled field (Private ATC) under Class C airspace. It's near the Blue Ridge mountains but not in them and nowhere near the coast. So what makes GMU fun? They have a family restaurant right on the field! So here is another candidate for the $100 hamburger. Just off runway 19 at A3 taxiway. The restaurant has a playscape for the kids including a Cessna 310 on a pole (for real!). Even better, pilots that fly in get a little discount! WooHoo!

Warning, the ATC at KGMU is known to be a little picky about radio disipline. I called for VFR Flight Following with an east bound departure and the Ground Control said "East is a BIG concept, can you give me a destination?" So try to be complete but succinct in your radio calls! However, they also very nicely vectored me out of the area so it really isn't a problem, just think before keying up or you'll get called out for it. BTW, it is a busy area with KGSP (the airliner airport) and KGYH (former Air Force Base now publc airport) both in close proximity so there can be a lot of traffic in the air at times.

At any rate, the food is good and the prices OK with a FANTASTIC location (walk from your parked plane right to the table!) Here's the link to see more:
runwaycafegmu.com/
Last edit: 13 Mar 2024 18:09 by Eric Parks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds