Question Wing Spar Inspection AD

More
05 Apr 2021 09:41 #2936 by STEVE ELLS
Replied by STEVE ELLS on topic Wing Spar Inspection AD
Gray;
There are two ADs. One 2020-26-16 calls for an eddy current inspection of the bolt holes. No where in the AD text is there any mention of corrosion.
So in my opinion, you have a unique situation that has to be evaluated by Piper engineering.
You can take measurements and detailed pictures and send your proposal to drill the hole oversize to Piper for engineering approval.
Or you can hire what's called a Designated Engineering Representative (DER) and send him the data.
Have you done AD 2020-24-05, which calls for an inspection of the front and rear of the inner portion of the right and left wing spars?
If you found corrosion during the eddy current AD, I urge you to do the second AD to look for corrosion at the fore and aft side or the right and left wing spars.
The corrosion AD does address removing material that is corroded.
It somehow sounds as though you're using information in one AD and applying it to a different AD.
If the bolt holes are cracked, the spar must be changed per 2020-26-16.
If the corrosion is beyond the limits in Piper SB 1304A your data must be sent to the FAA office mentioned in the AD.
I have attached 1304A.
Sorry, if this doesn't address your question.
Please get back to me if it seems I'm confused about the issues.
Steve

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 04:49 #2935 by Gray Kirby
Replied by Gray Kirby on topic Wing Spar Inspection AD
My 1978 PA32RT-300 did not pass the wing spar eddy check AD due to corrosion. They tried to clean it and it still did not pass.
"noted defect/corrosion indications in excess of 0.030" on both forward and rear holes, in all layers"
There were no cracks or corrosion noted visually.
We are asking the FAA for a AMOC to allow a bore out by 1/1000 of an inch and then re-eddy check. If it passess, an oversized bold will then be used. I doubt they will go for that.
The second option is to seperate the wing and file down the area and make sure we are within Piper thickness tolerances. Then re-eddy check again.
It seem crazy to open up a wing for this. I know this group has a lot of experience. Any suggestions? Anybody seen this yet?

More
13 Dec 2020 09:38 #2762 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Tim;
I'm assuming you mean the wing panel inspections kits, part number 765-106V as referred to in this article: www.piperflyer.org/maintenance-technical...on-in-cherokees.html.
My parts finding tricks are to contact Kent at Piper Flyer (626 844 0125 or Kent [AT] aviationgroupltd [DOT] com), type the part number into Google and check with the listed suppliers, and type the part number into eBay.

When I checked this morning, it looked like the kits might be back ordered. If that's the case, I recommend removing the fuel tanks and inspecting the aft side of the main wing spar through the lighting holes in the spar web. A borescope, such as the Vividia Ablescope VA-400 USB Rigid Borescope (advertised and sold by Amazon), will provide access to all the areas that need to be inspected.

More
13 Dec 2020 08:59 #2760 by Tim Lindstrom
Replied by Tim Lindstrom on topic Wing Spar Inspection AD
Anybody have a best place to pick up the kits from?

More
05 Dec 2020 16:33 #2749 by STEVE ELLS
Hi Steve;
Thanks for that suggestion. I think it's a good one. The Cherokee fuel tanks are relatively easy to remove, and when removed, the inner section of the wing spar can be fully inspected.

• STEVEN STOCKMEIER
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
05 Dec 2020 07:28 #2748 by STEVEN STOCKMEIER
Replied by STEVEN STOCKMEIER on topic Wing Spar Inspection AD
I actually had my two wing tanks out for a fuel sending unit leak and the other one for an adjustment on the sending unit when this AD came out. Four years ago when I had the fuel tanks out for another fuel sending unit replacement I complied with SB 1006 ( inspection of the spar structure behind the fuel tanks ). At that time I sprayed my spars and replaced all fuel and vent hoses.
Since I had my tanks out again when this AD came out it was easy to comply with and my spars looked great. If you haven’t complied with SB 1006 I strongly recommend complying with the AD by removing the fuel tanks for the inspection and comply with SB 1006 at the same time.
Just a recommendation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds